Sunday, July 29, 2007

U of M

I had a great time in Missoula. Saw lots of my old friends and we really had a party. Saturday morning I went for a bike ride around town. Missoula is a bicycle town. Even when the sun is beating down you can ride under a canpoy of trees in the shade. Here is a photo from the "Oval" at the University of Montana and Main Hall. Notice the M on the hill above. There are chimes in that tower. There is a keyboard that you push with your hands to make them play. I can't remember how many octaves, only a few. I had a friend who was a music student who would play them named John. Not very many people got to play them and it was cool to hear him play. I think there must be music written just for these things but I'm not sure. I'll have to ask John the next time I see him.

4 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

There is a similar bell tower that plays music on the hour.

I agree; there MUST be music for those bell towers!

don said...

I'm pretty sure there is specific music. I don't think it's an easy thing to play either. If you screw up, everyone hears it.

Diane Lowe said...

I forgot to mention that bell tower was at UCLA. I must have been sleepy yesterday morning!

don said...

I figured that was what you meant.