Sunday, July 15, 2007

Going to the sun

Here is a picture I took at the top of Logan Pass looking north with a disposable camera a few years ago when I rode my bike up the GOING TO THE SUN ROAD in Glacier Park. That's a cool website, and I have a friend who works to clear the snow off of it each year. Check out the snow removal photos. It's amazing what they do. (ckick on the Photo Gallery to see the more recent snow removal photos and video) Here is another website about BUILDING THE ROAD I've telemark skied down some of snow fields shown in those B&W photos back when I was in highschool, and again with my friend who does snow removal there for the park service. He used a snowboard and I used my telemark skis. I've also skied it alone. We climbed up as high as you could get where the snow stopped and the rocks begin and then skied down. It's pretty scary at the top until you get your skis on as it's really steep.

The mountains on the right are called the Garden Wall, and it's also the continental divide. That hump on the right in the sun is called Haystack, and in the center of the photo is Granite Park (the flat rocky place) There is a chalet there built out of rocks that you can hike to and stay in called GRANITE PARK CHALET It's an 8 mile hike from where this photo was taken. I stayed there once with my parents. The only way in there is to hike. It's really cool.

I want to ride my bike back up there again soon. You can only ride a bike there early in the morning and then again late in the afternoon.

No comments: