Thursday, August 02, 2007

Bad Badlands

I saw two things that cyclists did yesterday that bothered me. First was a road bike rider from the local racing club, (Badlands) as he was wearing his team kit. I was driving home from work (yes I drove my car to work yesterday as I slept in) and this racer guy blew threw a stop sign and turned at a busy intersection and no signal either. Then he proceeded to ride outside of the bike lane. He swerved quite a ways out onto the regular lane first as he made his turn. I don't know what makes these guys think this is ok? He wasn't racing, just training. I thought his actions sucked as it's right on my regular bike route to and from work. I don't think there is any justification for it. His training isn't so important that he can put someone else in a position of hitting him by blatantly disregarding the traffic laws. If it were in the middle of nowhere or if he signaled and even slowed down I wouldn't have mentioned it. But if he's going to do this sort of thing, in his team colors, while eveyone is going home from work and I see it, he and the team are going to get a mention on my blog. It's that simple.

Bad cycling wasn't restricted to just the racer. I drove down the rode to another intersection. A guy on a RECUMBANT BICYCLE ,of all things, was riding outside of the bike lane. That's one thing I can sort of understand from time to time depending on the debris in the path. But this guy went right through a very dangerous intersection with a stop sign. Probably because it was slightly uphill and the guy would have had trouble getting going again. If that's the case then he shouldn't have been out there. I'm not a big fan of recumbents anyway. It looked to me like he was having trouble controling the thing.

Hey, I can go on and on about motorists, but we as cyclists need to do what we can to be good citizens out on the road if we want to get any respect in return.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

People like that can give Cyclists a bad name for sure!

don said...

Sadly a lot of the club racers do this. It's something in the culture that needs to change.