Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Moonlight on the bay

I set my alarm for 2:00 am to view the lunar eclipse. The moon shines in my bedroom window right now so all I had to do was wake up and look out the window. I was wishing that I had been up at the lake to see the eclipse. The moon just looked brown when it was a full eclipse. It looked the best when it was just starting.

The whole bay was lit up at night with moonlight reflecting off of the water last weekend. I used to sail on a full moon when I was younger, and would look forward to the three weekends a summer that it might be possible. Of course you need a nice breeze and sometimes at night the water is calm. I took a couple of photos of the moonlight on the bay. They didn't turn out that great, but it gives you an idea.

4 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Pretty picture!

I'm fairly certain I was sleeping at 2:00 AM. :)

No brown moon for me!

Did you know it doesn't even get dark here at night? The sky turns a funky orange color.

don said...

Thanks, it kind of shows how the bay looked. The photos I took last weekend were pretty much a failure. That's why I cropped this one and made it so small. I took lots of photos last weekend and none of them turned out very good.

I didn't know it didn't get dark there, I knew you couldn't see the stars due to all of the lights. I suspect that the orange is air pollution lit up by all of the lights. The forest fire smoke kind of looks orange in certian light. It's not that bad now.

Diane Lowe said...

Well, it gets dark, in that the sun goes down and some things go inky black.

But because of all the light the sky looks orangish and you don't quite feel like you're out in the middle of nowhere. It's definitely not as quiet.

don said...

I like being in the middle of nowhere these days. There was a time when I wanted a lot of people around me. But now the more distance I can get the better I like it.

I had a conversation with Steve about this. He taught school in the middle of nowhere Alaska. There's a certain luxury about having nobody around.