Tuesday, May 13, 2008

French Cooking

Something tells me that food is sort of like music. Some people can sight read a score and play pretty well, but a true master knows the music so well that they don't need the score. Like Vladimir Horowitz, they know the music by heart.

Perhaps cooking is much the same. I love to cook. I told myself that if I like something I'll learn it so I can do it from memory. I'll do it over and over until I have it down, and I'll get a feel for it like music, and I won't need to read the instructions every time when I make it.

Of course it takes a while to build a repitiour like that, and some things are just too complicated to remember. A guy at work brought in a bunch of books to give away. I searched through them and found this one, Mastering The Art Of French Cooking by Julia Child and Simone Beck. I loved Julia Child, so I'm going to dig into this book and see what I can find.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

For the most part I usually use a recipe. I just like having one around because I can't remember proportions off-hand.

Some things, like mayonnaise, I can make without having to refer to the recipe, or if I'm just completely throwing something for just myself to eat (like if I cook pasta for me and just toss it in olive oil and herbs).

But if I'm making something a little more complicated than that I don't feel "safe" without knowing I have something I can refer too.

I tried to color inside the lines when I was a child, too. :)

don said...

You might be a science person and I might be an art person. I tend to just want to get a feeling for things.

I have a feeling that you are a really good cook. :)