Sunday, May 11, 2008

Never ever

For some reason it seems like my life is on dial up and I keep getting bumped off while everyone else is on broadband. The only time I ever go fast is when I get the wax right on my skis. Thankfully I got through the ski season without hurting myself. If I had goofed up my legs I'd really be living on dial up.

This week is national bike to work week... I was talking to this woman who was cutting my hair. We were talking about the price of gas and the cost of food. Her husband went back to school for some reason. So she was supporting both of them and two kids on what she made cutting hair and things were tight. She was making a point of how much gas it took for him to go back and forth to school. Then somehow the converstation shifted to how she wanted an SUV like a Chevy Tahoe and her husband wants a new big pickup. I didn't know what to say.

I don't know how much gas is going to have to cost before people will change their ideas about driving. I don't think bike to work week is going to make any difference at least not here. Only a fraction of people live close enough to work do it, and are willing to make that kind of adjustment in their routine. Plus many of the streets just aren't designed for bikes. Most people here where I live never ever go anywhere without getting into a car or a great big truck. Ever.

4 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

I read or heard somewhere that people aren't going to start thinking about getting more fuel efficient vehicles until gas is at least $6.00/gallon. I bet it's going to take $10.00/gallon before people really jump on that alternative energy bandwagon.

I really can see that price increase happen in the next few years.

And then unless GM and Ford can get their acts together Honda and Toyota are going to completely dominate the U.S. market. I can't see how cars that rate barely 20 MPG (if that) sell at all.

Part of the problem is when most cities were designed (at least in the U.S.), commercial and industrial zones were not placed near residential zones. That and the whole idea that everyone can have the big American suburban dream.

I live about 10 miles from work. It's doable as far as biking is concerned, but not really pleasant. I think most people would want to be within 5 miles of work if they were going to bike commute every day. I want to get within that bubble.

Thanks for the head's up on Bike to Work Week. I haven't heard anything about it at all.

don said...

I'm still seeing lots of new Super Duty Ford trucks hauling one guy to work. Guys like that will be the last hold outs.

When a young family is having trouble making ends meet they still want a new fullsized truck for him and an SUV for her, then things haven't changed.

It's one thing to downsize to a small car and many people won't consider that. It's another thing to ride a bike to work.

Anonymous said...

In a country without public transportation, a car is considered public transportation. People still can't think of gas as a commodity that needs to be economized on - driving is a right. And the people like this family aren't likely to have the opportunity to visit a country where biking and public transportation are viable options, so I wonder how mass American consciousness will ever change.

Sigh.

I see cars as one of the world's biggest problems. They're connected to everything - environmental issues, Mid-East politics, obesity... And yet I can't persuade my own dad to give up his SUV - he keeps getting bigger and bigger cars.

don said...

Many people have moved out of town and into the country. It's eating up farm land but that's a another story.

We have a bus system here that is under used, but I have been seeing more cars at the park and ride lots recently. Most people who use the bus drive their car to get to it.

You can ride a bike to get to the bus too. The busses have bike
racks on the front, but they only hold 2 bikes. You have to take a class to learn how to put your bike on the rack. I talked to a guy who did that. He gave up trying because the bike rack was usually full.