Friday, May 23, 2008

Rhubarb pie

I bought a few garden plants today. Mostly herbs but also some tomato plants. I bought two roma tomato plants as they are my favorite tomatos, and one early girl tomato plant. I bought Italian parsley and also oregano. I wanted some basil but the didn't have any. And I bought a couple of pepper plants. I want to get some hotter pepper plants too. I've never grown peppers.

I also have a great big rhubarb plant in my yard and this year I plan to make a rhubarb pie. My mom can teach me how to make a good crust. She is really good at it. I'm not kidding, and she makes the best pies you have ever had. She showed me once before how to make a the crust dough but I never did it so I need to have her show me again. I usually just boil rhubarb it and put sugar on it and have it with ice cream, or bake it with an apple, cinnamon and sugar. When I was a kid we always had a garden. There was lots of rhubarb out by the fence. I'd just go and break off a stalk and munch on it.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

I've never grown/eaten/experimented with rhubarb that much.

I have a good pie crust recipe. My mom stole it from somewhere and gave it to me. You use an egg in it. I haven't made it in years but it's good. I'll look it up and post it for you.

I'm sure your mom's recipe is good too.

Definitely get a basil plant. You'll be making pesto all the time.

don said...

Rhubarb is great for pie because it's tart. Mrs. C served rhubarb cake tonight.

She made it like an upside-down cake. She cut up the rhubarb in pieces and put it on bottom. Then sprinkled strawberrie jellow package on that. Then a cup of sugar and then some small marshmallows on that. And then put yellow cake mix ontop of that and baked it.

And then she served it she bottom up so that all of the rhubarb was on the top.

Really good but lots of sugar.