Monday, June 09, 2008

Camera repair

Tonight I decided to repair the battery door on my little Nikon digital camera. You can see the crack in the open battery door. Directly behind the crack is a screw that holds an electrical contact in place.

I've been using a newer camera but I really liked this one. I've seen this battery door for sale on e-bay but I think the camera would have to be taken apart. So I bought some two part epoxy and dug out some old fiberglass scraps. I sanded off the paint in that area and filled the crack and void with epoxy and layed in fiberglass strands for extra strength. After 24 hours I'll clean it up and glue up another layer with the glass going in a different direction. It looks like it's going to work.

I put a a little piece of the fiberglass mesh in the photo so you can see what it looks like. You can't really see it when you put it into the epoxy as the strands all but disappear, I was taking apart the mesh and using bunches of strands like the one seperated from the mesh in the photo. I can get a cleaner result that way and orient the strands in the dierction I want.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

How industrious!

That's so awesome you can make a repair like that! I hope it comes out fantastic!

don said...

Looks like it has done the trick. I'm using the camera again. New battery door might have been nicer, but it looked difficult to take the camera apart.