Friday, June 27, 2008

Gun ownership

I have a few things to say about the recent supreme court decision about gun ownership. I think it was a good ruling, and the 5 to 4 decision shows how on the edge this issue is.

My viewpoint as a "liberal" is somewhat counterintuitive. I guess I wouldn't have a problem with the "well regulated" militia argument, if private contractors such as the present admin has employed, weren't being used in military and law enforcement roles in situations like Katrina and Iraq. I just can't believe that these private contractors are "well regulated". Clearly they aren't as they only answer to those who pay them.

Obama has clearly stated, as the court has ruled, that like all constitutinal rights, the right to bear arms is an individual right. He also added that as with all rights, it isn't without restrictions. For instance you can own a gun here where I live, provided you aren't a felon, but you can't shoot in in certian areas, like my back yard. I don't think reasonable gun owners have a problem with reasonable restrictions.

At a time when those in power at the highest level of government will try to justify "domestic surveillance" and re-define what is and isn't touture, I don't think it's a good time to compromise any other individual rights, because then you are completely at the mercy of those who come into power. In this respect I think that gun ownership is a cornerstone of our democracy.

No comments: