Saturday, June 28, 2008

Marmot

I stopped to have lunch today along the Clark Fork River in Montana. I noticed this Marmot walking along the rocky shoreline of the river. It was quite large. It was bigger than my cat Spunky, and just as big as the Marmots in Glacier Park even though I've never seen one in this area. It whistled when I started up the truck and left. At first I thought there was something wrong with the truck.

The river is brown and muddy right now due to all of the run-off and snow melt. Usually it is crystal clear. It gets like this after a good rain too. The river is really high right now as are all of the rivers in western Montana.

I retain the rights to all of my photos.  Please do not use without permission.

4 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

It must be nice to have so much runoff this year. I know in past years people were complaining about how low the water levels were. . . .

That marmot looks nice.

Courtney said...

I think I may have seen one of those before.. but I can't remember where. I just remember having no idea what it was... some kind of "large" rodent! Thanks for setting me straight!

Krista said...

The car I drove was a 2008 Ford Focus.

don said...

Diane, It was a very nice Marmot as Marmots go. Nice looking pelt too. Too bad they don't make good pets. How cool would that be? :)

Courtney, I guess there are lots of different kinds of Marmots. When I first saw this one I thought it might be a beaver but then I saw its tail. Beavers have the same snout and are about the same size but look a little darker. And of course have a flat paddle shaped tail.

Krista, Thanks for responding. I've actually thought about buying a Focus. My only other question would be, was the seat comfortable?

I've only been to Utah a couple of times as an adult in the past few years to go to Park City. I can see why you Love Utah. I love it too now that I've been there. I admire your courage for going to NYC.