Monday, May 14, 2007

About the bushes

Or shrubs for that matter. I'm not a big fan of the bushes. I think it's safe to say that I hate bushes. You know you are out of control when your bushes are out of control.

The guy who owned this house before me did nothing to maintain it. He didn't paint it, he made no improvements on it at all. He ended up getting the house re-posessed and that's how I got it. When I moved in the lawn was nothing but weeds.

There were these great big shrubs that I've been removing. There are two infront of the house that I kind of like. But they needed to be pruned, so tonight I went out there to do that. I'm sure my neighbors were thinking, "now what is he going to do?" Well I started to prune.

Then I started to think. Do I have a clear design plan? After all, I don't want to have my bushes ending up looking like my hair. As I was pruning I had a flashback to that gal who cut my hair. She would make a cut and then look at me with a puzzled look on her face. And now people look at my hair with the same look on their faces. I started to have all of these considerations. Will people go by my house and look at my bushes and think "What the heck!?" I want these bushes to look pruned but not phoney. I didn't want them to be like perfect spheres or cones or anything like that, but how do you prune a bush and make it look natural?

So anyway I got done with two bushes that are right in front of my house. They look better than they did. But I hate bushes. Woe to anyone who plants shrubs. You're just planting yourself a maintenance problem. I'm starting to think rock placement might not be so bad.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Sidenote: I hate moving somewhere because it's awful trying to find the one person who can cut your hair beautifully. I know great hairstylists must exist in L.A., I just haven't found the one in my budget yet. But I'm growing my hair out so it's not like I need to have it trimmed every month. I wish I knew of a stylist in Spokane I could recommend to you. Alternatively, you could try to find an old-fashioned barber shop (with a pole!) and see if the guy there can cut hair any better.

In the house I grew up in (in California), my mom had this gorgeous pink rose hedge lining the property. I'm not sure how often she would prune them, probably once or twice a year.

The people who moved in after we moved out pulled all the rose bushes. If you look at the house now in Google Earth you can see they pulled the front rose garden that Mom had (not part of the lawn area) and planted palm trees there. There's also, like, 4 cars in the driveway. They must have been having a party.

I've been meaning to drive out there and check it out, but I don't know why. I guess I could say I meant to go to the giant outlet mall there and had an interesting detour.

don said...

I think I found a guy who is going to cut my hair next time. I'm going to go really short with it. Not a total buzz cut but short. Summer is a good time to try that.

I thought your hair looked great BTW.

I did try the brown eggs yesterday. It was really good. I can see how those flavors work together. I can see why you would want the Star anise. Next time I'll get some. I couldn't find it when at the store.