Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Floyd and Ivan

The arbitration hearing for Landis is now in its third day and I've been following along. From what I gather I just can't see how Landis will win on this, but I could be wrong. It sounds to me like they don't have much of a case. The case for Landis is based on the lab not following proper testing procedures. Landis was tested eight times in the 06 TDF and only one of those came back above the 4 to 1 ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone. Then they tested the other 7 samples to a carbon isotope ratio test and four of those came back positive for synthetic testosterone. as reported by VeloNews.

Landis is trying to prove that he did not use synthetic testosterone. I think it will come down to whoever presents a more convincing case. But the US Anti Doping Agency has a good track record when it comes to wining cases with a record of 34-0. If they loose it will be the first time in a case like this since the agency was formed in in 2000.

As far as Ivan Basso goes, the Italian Olympic Committe has suspended both Scarponi and Basso. Basso for admitting he was involved with Operacion Puerto but doesn't admit to actually doping. Like the I didn't inhale excuse. Most likely those guys will get only 4 months suspension according to Procycling, but there are twenty some other riders involved also so the story is long from over.

So I think these guy are doing it. Probably more of them than we know. And for Landis, the damage is already done. If he is found guilty he will get a two year suspension and another two year pro tour suspension. So that will be a career ender, and I'm not sure he could come back on form with his hip replacement and all of that anyway.

2 comments:

Megan said...

So I think these guy are doing it. Probably more of them than we know.

More than I want to know. I would like to think that all professional athletes are clean. Just like I would like to think the pilot of my plane is clean and driver in the car next to me is clean. But I guess in the world we live in today, sadly these things are not true. There are a few athletes out there who in the deepest parts of my heart I believe are clean, and if it ever comes out they aren't I just might give up on professional sports.

don said...

When Frankie Andreu came out and admitted he had done it, I thought that most of them must have. Actually I thought so before that. You have to remember that Landis and Frankie and Lance were all on the same team.

Andreu was here at a Cancer Patient Care ride right before the 05 TDF at which he was a commentator and before he came out with his disclosure and before he and his wife testified in court in an insurance payout case for Lance. He just looked like something heavy was hanging over him. I walked up and had him sign my number and thanked him for coming. I bet people had been asking him about Lance all day.

I wrote about that and I'll try link to that when we hear more about Landis.

The only things going for Landis in my view is that testosterone wouldn't explain the dramatic one day come back in the mountains when he had lost so much time to Oscar Pereiro. Plus the way the samples were handled might be an issue and could have been tampered with.