Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The path I go down

I spent a little over an hour on my bike today, a half hour at luch, and another half hour after I got home from work. I didn't ride to work today as it was windy and looked like was going to rain again. So when I got home I decided to over-ride my temptation to just plop down and watch the news and I took my brain out of gear and just let my body put on my cycling clothes and walk my bike out of the house. It was like that episode on the original Star Trek, Spock's Brain, in which they walk Mr. Spock around without a brain. I went out of the house like that with my bike. tick tick tick tick.

I didn't regret it as it was really cool out. Not only was it cold but it looked again like it will rain soon. It made for some interesting views on the bike path. I saw some interesting people on the trail also. Among them were two wheel chair racers, and that would have made for some cool photos, but they looked like they were having so much fun that I didn't interfere. I did think about it however. I kind of go crazy when it comes to taking pictures. Cannondale used to make racing chairs but had to stop due to regulations regarding wheel chairs. You used to be able to go to the bike shop and order a Cannondale but now you have to get one custom made. I'm not sure where that situation is at now. I should look into it.

Here is what the bike path looked like tonight as the weather moved in.

3 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

VERY lovely!

I never did watch the original series, although I've been tempted to.

I'm glad you went on the bike ride. The news would have just been soul-draining.

don said...

Thank you Diane. I thought it was kind of a cool shot too. I did work for it. That is what it looked like and I didn't alter the photo in photoshop. I did reduce the size however as I always do to post.

I took several photos to get a good exposure. I'd meter the light away from my subject by pushing the shutter button half way down and then turn to the subject and shoot it. I can't remember what that technique is called, but I was doing it a lot with my digital SLR and found that I could do it with my point and shoot as long as I made sure the focus was infinity. It's a good way to manage the exposure on an auto exposure camera. Almost more easy than trying to manage it by changing the shutter speed or fstop (if your camera allows it)

The other challenge was to not get an aperture flare due to shooting into the sun. I did get one but it's kind of hidden by the clouds.

don said...

One last thing, The original Star Trek is beautiful as it is shot in film. The SEs are done by hand. There is the whole 1960's thing about it. It's just great.