Thursday, April 12, 2007

15%

I heard on the TV that only 15% of people do their own taxes by hand like I do. Curious. I'm such an idiot when it comes to working with numbers, Most people use a program, e-file or have someone else do it. It used to be more complicated when I had more deductions and my first time home buyer credit, but now my standard deduction is more than if I itemize. The only thing I don't know right now is how much my phone excize tax credit is, and by gosh, I'm going to take it! I suspect it is only about $30. $30. will fill the gas tank of my Hundai once. That would last me almost a month if I don't go on a road trip.

***
You guys are all done, but I found out that my standard phone deduction is $30, and it ranges from $30 to $60 depending on exemptions. If you use actual phone records then you have to use form 8913.

5 comments:

Megan said...

I do my own taxes. But I do cheat a little. I use the Turbo Tax online, because they walk me through all the credits, etc. Then I fill them in the blanks myself.

This year was really difficult since it was the first year I could claim my new house. But I did get lots of money back. And I also took the $30 telephone credit.

I do my taxes in January. I am a nerd.

don said...

I always think I'll do my taxes in January but then I always wait until the last week.

Yes it does make it kind of complicated if you buy a house or if you move or something. My taxes are pretty straight forward.

Diane Lowe said...

I have H&R Block do my taxes online.

They are super easy, and gave me a big refund this year. Granted, I moved late in the year, so I didn't make all that much and the 1 withholding allowance takes a pretty penny from your pay.

I would have done my taxes in January if I had all the paperwork I needed. I got them done in February this year.

GrewUpRural said...

I do my taxes by hand too. I actually do my taxes in late January, but don't send the payment in until the last day or so.

don said...

I had good luck with H&R Block in the past. That's a good way to go.