Tuesday, April 24, 2007

New bike computer

My bike computer konked out again. I was riding to work and it would cut out. It powers down if you stop riding. But it would power down and I was still riding. That throws off all of the data. Since it is the start of the cycling season I decided to replace it. I realized I had a nice computer on my mountain bike. I hardly ever ride my mountain bike so I decided to put it on my road bike. The battery was dead but as it happened, it takes the same battery as the computer that kept konking out. So cool. I did need some zip ties to mount the sensor on the fork. I found the right size in my bike tool box. So I had everything I needed to get a nice speedo back on my bike.

I mounted it up and did a very nice job if I do say so myself, but then I couldn't find the instructions to set the wheel size. So I goofed around with it until I got to the menu for wheel size. I did a roll out of my wheel along a metric tape, and entered that number. It works. Both of my wheel sets have exactly the same tires on them, so it won't matter when I change wheels. I don't really care about that data for riding to work or working out, but if I go on a tour I really want information about how far I've gone and how fast. It's almost critical to measure your effort in that situation if you haven't done the ride before. I could manage without one but I'd probably ride more conservativley. That can be a problem. You want to ride as fast as you can manage as you will be on the bike for a shorter period of time. Riding too long is as bad as riding too fast when it comes to distance riding.

No comments: