Friday, April 27, 2007

The alfa female

I hate it when it is windy on garbage day. I've blogged about this before. My lot is on a corner and it is kind of big. I have almost a field for a yard. I have it looking pretty darn nice right now. Across the street from it are several neighbors who put their garbage cans out. It gets really windy here when it is windy. Today was such a day. Winds in probably the 25 to 35 mph range. That blows over the garbage cans and plastic bags, wrappers and cans, you name it. The things these people eat is something that was garbage even before it was used, and something nobody should eat. To their credit the guys up wind of me keep their lawns in pretty good shape. But there are several serious rednecks around. I'm kind of a closet redneck myself, but I keep fighting the urge.

There is this one guy who moved in down the street a while back. A great big guy who has long hair a beard and a ponch gut. He wears button up shirts un-tucked with the sleeves torn off of them. He kind of reminds me a of those guys in those comercials who are vikings and get regular jobs. This guy would look cool with one of those viking hats with horns on it. "What's in your neighborhood?"

He seems to be a good natured fellow however. I was cycling one time and he came up along side in a pickup and gave me some positive words about my speed. That was kind of cool, considering sometimes I get yelled at and have even been shot at with a BB gun. Hit me right in the butt. I'm just glad it didnt' hit my bike. In all of my years cycling in Montana when I was growing up, nobody ever yelled at me. But he, like many other people, doesn't do much about weeds in his yard but his daughters were working on it today. Thankfully many people do and this is actually a pretty nice place to live. The other side of the river where I work is much higher density. Part of the reason for that is that there is a sewer system over there. Here everyone has a septic system. So they put the houses farther apart. I imagine that when they put a sewer system in over here then they will start packing houses in.

It's dandelion season here though. There are several pastures and fields around and some of them are pretty yellow. It's kind of an agriculture area with housing developments here and there. I've never seen a worse place for dandelions, and these are the Amazon variety. It's such a fast growing plant that it has been studdied to understand cancer. My neighbor downwind from me has a very neat yard. Plus he is a triathlete so I can relate to him. But I have to admit that I have a more weed free yard than he has now. Neener neener. When I moved in my front yard was solid yellow. So I'm pretty proud of myself in that respect.

Anyway I chose not to cycle today due to the wind. I did go by the trail head at lunch and did not see the Alfa Romeo. So the Alfa female must have felt the same way about the wind as I did.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I live on a mesa top, so I understand wind!

I am also a closet redneck...grew up in a family of cowboys/ranchers. It happens.

The worst day of cycling I ever had was two summers ago. I was just finishing my ride...only a few more miles...pulling a nice sized hill...really working hard...proud of myself. I hear a truck coming up behind me and then I hear a whosing sound go by my ear and then glass breaking. Yes...this redneck asshat threw a beer bottle at me. Luckily it missed.

I laughed out loud when I read neener neener!

don said...

I haven't had a beer bottle thrown at me yet. My gosh! Watch out for kids in beat up VW Jettas. They're the worst.