Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Becoming Mr. Gouchenour

I'm going to head up to the cabin in Montana. Turn the water on and de-winterize. Mow if I need to. There are two "cabins", and usually I stay in the so called "Gouchenour Cabin". Shown in this photo. Pronounced "gook-en-our". It has lake frontage with a pier and a boathouse. That is my Hyundai next to it. There is also another cabin that is more like what you would expect a cabin to look like.

It's kind of funny. When my brother-in-law first heard about the "Gouchenour Cabin" he pictured a great big barvarian timber framed structure in the mountains, and guys standing around in lederhosen with mugs of beer. I got a kick out of that.

The "cabin" gets it's name from Mr. Gouchenour who first built it/ put it together. He was an old rancher from over by Great Falls. He got two shacks from the Libby Dam project and put them next to eachother for the back half of the building. It was a time whe a modest house to get away on the weekends was the norm. Now people are making these great big mansions, and pushing the prices of lake frontage beyond the reach of a regular guy. My father built the room on the front when he bought it and also the deck. He put in a bathroom and plumbing. It's really cute inside. It has a really old stove and fridge both from the 40s or 50s. It's one of my favorite places to be. I need to find someone to share it with. I guess I can share it here a little. The view of the bay from it is really nice.

If someone bought this property I'm sure they would just tear this little house down. Even if I could afford to build a great big house here I don't think I would. I wonder what Mr. Gouchenour would think about that. If he were still alive he would sit down in the kitchen with me and have a cup of coffee. We'd go out fishing in the morning. I liked Mr. Gouchenour. Mr. Gouchenour was a friend of mine. I'm tempted to say that I'm no Mr. Gouchenour, but I'm kind of becoming him.

5 comments:

Megan said...

I love summer cabins! Is it a long drive from your house? Can you go whenever you please? Ahhhh...summer...I'm ready.

Diane Lowe said...

There is something nostalgic and quaint about a cute little getaway.

Don, you'll have no problem finding someone to share Gouchenour Cabin with - you want to know how I know? Because you have a place for her in your life.

Your Hyundai looks cool! I dig the sleek backside of coupes. One of the reasons why I'll probably settle on the Toyota Solara when I buy my new car.

don said...

Megan, it's a 3.5 hour drive, but in beautiful country. I can go whenever but I usually don't go in the winter, even though there are two places to ski, Big Mountain and Blacktail.

Diane, the Hyundai has been a good car for me. It was cheap as I bought it second hand, fun to drive, gets over 30 mpg on the highway, has a great soundsystem, goes great in the snow, and I can get a lot of gear inside of it. But I want a Boxster :)

Solara would be a really nice car. Much nicer than this Hyundai.

Anonymous said...

Don,

What happened to that photo of you and I standing on the deck in our lederhosen, holding our steins of beer?

Curt

don said...

I can't bring myself to look at it Curt. The silly fads we went through! I notice that I need to get some new latus for under the deck. I'm going to get some of that white plastic stuff. You don't have to paint it and it lasts longer. I also need to put some fence posts in. I have a bunch of those metal ones that you pound in. I need to get one of those things you pound them in with.