Thursday, April 26, 2007

In bloom (serviceberry bush/ jam update)

I took my bike down to the bike path at lunch for a short ride. Everything is in bloom. I think these are dogwood bushes. I could be wrong. They make a canopy over parts of the trail and it is really something. I didn't quite capture how overwhelming it is in this photo. It's kind of a cool bike experience anyway.

My new bike computer worked flawlessly. I didn't break any speed records. I listened to NPR while riding along. I did notice a woman whom I've seen on the trail before. Actually I first noticed her car. She has a red Alfa Romeo Spider. Italian sports car. I noticed last year that she was going to the trail during lunch. I wanted to say something about her car but never got the chance. I got a look at her today. So If I see her again I'm going to strike up a conversation. She's cute.

I"m thinking that the Spider isn't a car a married woman would normally drive. But who knows?

***
Update, My mom thought these were serviceberry bushes. My dad used to love jam made from them. We always had it when I was growing up. It's kind of a brown jam, at least what we had in Montana was. My dad would collect the berries and them my mom would make the jam. I remember we'd be driving somewhere out in the country and dad would spot the berries and we would stop and pick. Dad was a hunter gatherer. It's different but really good. It was kind of a special treat and a flavor that I can't describe. It's kind of subtle like a good wine is. You have to collect a lot of berries to get a little jam and they have a lot of little seeds in them.
My dad would eat it on a roll, like a dinner roll. The odd thing about my dad was that he always had some sort of bread and butter and jam with every meal. It was one of the things that was always on the table. No matter what we were eating there was always a plate with bread on it. So we had lots of homemade jam in our house. The berries are also used to flavor pemmican, which is a dried berry and dried meat mixture like jerky made by native Americans.

2 comments:

Megan said...

What a pretty ride! We have a great bike path here, but I fear it. Too many people strolling, walking dogs, roller blading, pushing kids in buggies, joggers, people on crusier bikes, and people who treat it like the Tour. So I try to not ride on the path...just use it for foot traffic.

And and I think you are correct...the Spider is a single, fun, gal car! Good Luck!

don said...

Thanks. It's a great trail system and goes for miles along the Spokane River. There are times when it is empty and other times when people are walking and running. Where I live it is pretty much empty. Some of the bikers don't show good judgement in areas were there are people. But for the most part you can ride fast if you want. They do have a speed limit of 15 mph but of course most of the bikers go much faster than that. It is also patrolled by cops on bikes sometimes.