Monday, April 30, 2007

Uphill battle

Well I guess Basso is off of the Discovery cycling team. I just new it. Right before the Giro. Dang! I wanted to watch him race. They had suspended him as the Italian Olympic Committee looks into his alleged involvement with doping uncovered by Operacion Puerto. It ended the career of Jan Ulrich last year. Basso just quit because Discovery is trying to get a new sponsor. So now it will be up to my fellow Montanan Levi Leipheimer or Tom Danielson to lead the team at the Tour de France. Leipheimer is riding well so we will see. They are both great hill climbers.


I did a hill climb a few years ago that Leipheimer had done. He did it many years before me as a teen and set a hill record for his age group. I didn't set any records but I did exceed my goal of breaking 20 min. I did it in 18 min something. I think Leipheimer did it around 14 min. I'll tell you, the minutes and seconds start going by pretty fast in the last few hundred yards when you can see the finish. Leipheimer also had a weight advantage as a little teenager. They did put my photo in the newsletter however. (left) I have no business in a hill climb race as I'm too big, but it is exciting. It's really tough also. There is a long straight that climbs away from the start and it only goes up from there. You have to go as fast as possible all the way. They start you at 1 minute intervals and you can tell how well you are doing by if you are passing people or getting passed. I passed 2 riders and did not get passed, but I kind of sucked anyway. In fact, I was really sucking air at the end. :)


Photo credit; Greg Siple. Click on it to see it bigger. He recently had an exhibition of his cycling photos in Missoula. Hundreds of photos all black and white. He's really a good photographer. This one was printed on colored paper, cropped like this and took up a large part of one page. I was kind of flattered when the newsletter arived in the mail. It was a nice consolation, un-intended I'm sure. I've seen him around and I know he has taken a few other photos of me. One time he had me just stand by my bike. So I might be in the mix somewhere in his exhibition.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Did you go to see his exhibition?

Good job on that hill climb! Look at it this way: how many people your size could have taken that hill in 18 minutes something?

don said...

Thanks Diane! I can tell you are on my team :) I was pretty proud of myself even though my friends thought I sucked. I needed to get into the 16 or 17 minute range. I did beat one of them the year before in the rain as his chain came off when he shifted out of his big gear. But yeah, we went out for coffee after this ride and I was all happy with myself, and they totally thought I sucked. What the heck.

I had a goal and I didn't worry about what they thought. They are serious, weigh a lot less, and also training over 1000 feet higher. I can probably out sprint them. Age does matter as does weight. Weight helps for ski racing and that is more important to me as I'm better at it. I've been trying to cheat age and cycling is hepling but time is catching up with me no doubt.

When I was a teen, I'm sure I could have come close to Levi's time. I was really focused on cycling when I was a teenager but I didn't have great equipment. I used to ride that climb all the time.

I did not get to Missoula to see that show. I would have been very interested in it. I tried to find a link to that article but they didn't archive it, or I just couldn't find it.

Thanks for pulling.