Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Perfume

It's a strange thing and a difficult thing for me. Sometimes perfume smells good to me. Scented things like lotion. Other times it honestly gives me what is like an alergic reaction. The tricky thing about it is that women are just trying to smell good. So if you tell them that you can't stand their perfume they take it as an insult.

Some of these things go into my nose, up into my sinus, give me a headache and make me feel sick. It's one of those things that if it doesn't happen to you then you can't realate to it. Perhaps like RLS.

In the mornings if I can't sleep I have a great big old vintage Zenith trans-oceanic radio next to my bed. I can get the CBC from Calgary on it. It's pretty cool. They have some good programing including Polish radio. I can get KSL out of Salt Lake and a number of other radio stations from places pretty far away. But on the CBC There was recently a situation in which a Calgary bus driver refused to allow one woman to ride due to her perfume. To my surprise, they found in favor of the bus driver.

When I was at MSU in Bozeman I had a pretty girlfriend. She was sweet and I really liked her. But she was over the top with this perfume that really irritated me. To the point of an alergic reaction. It was hard for me to be around her when she had this on and that was all of the time. So I decided to bring up the issue with her. Well she dropped me for a football player.

It's strange because not all perfume does that to me. It isn't just women's perfume. Some of the men's products do it too. There was this one guy in a design class that wore something every day that I had a problem with. This guy had a big adam's apple and a really bad overbite. It was the worst smell to me. Horrible. I tried to get as far away from him as I could. But clearly he thought it was good.

I think there are a few factors. The perfume is old. It doesn't match the person. They use too much. Or it comes from an animal product that I can't tolerate. I suspect that there is one ingredient that I can't deal with, because when it bothers me it always smells the same. It acutally hurts when I breath in.

There's more to this story but I have to end it here.

4 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Sorry to hear about your troubles with perfume!

I do wear perfume, not all the time, but when I'm in "man catching" or "man keeping" mode I might spritz some on. I try not to overdo it, but if I start to get a stuffy nose or a headache I know I've gone too far. I can't wear perfume every day. Every other day would probably be way too often for me too.

My new fellow really likes how I smell, which is great, but he also really likes all the perfumes I've worn for him. I honestly wouldn't be bothered if he said, "this perfume you're wearing today is giving me a headache" or something similar. I would just not wear that perfume around him. I'm not sure what was up with your pretty girlfriend from MSU. I don't think perfume should be a point to drop someone over.

I wear, in no particular order, only one of the following at any one point in time:

Coco Madamoiselle, by Chanel - it's a "just grown up" woman smell, sultry and sexy
Lucky Number 6 - this is a nice, light "Asian flowers" scent
Cool Water for Women, by Davidoff - I like to wear this after a workout

I also wear Victoria's Secret Body by Victoria, which is similar to Cool Water, and very rarely I will wear Estee Lauder pleasures exotic, which smells like grapefruit.

don said...

Yes there was more going on at MSU.

Most of the time it's great and I don't have a problem. I think there is just one ingredient that I can't tolerate. To me it smells like pesticide.

Perhaps that's why it keeps me away! Hey, I wish I had thought of that when I was writing this post :)

GrewUpRural said...

When I was a hostess at a small restaurant, I would have to take Tylenol before I started my shift. Saturdays were the worst because the older adults would take their elderly mothers out for lunch and the elderly women tended to bath in the perfume instead spritzing a few drops.

In particular, there was one son/mother duo that was the worst. As soon as I would see their car pull up, I would run to the bathroom and make one of my co-workers seat them. The mother's perfume was soo bad it made me sick.

don said...

That's how my girlfriend's perfume was. Very strong. It was bad.

Some of the chemicals/ substances in some cosmetics can be dangerous/ hazardous, and sometimes regulated for other uses.