Monday, April 23, 2007

Boris Yeltsin

I thought I should say something about Yeltsin. A guy I work with gave me a bio on him as he found it cheap at a book store. A hard covered 800 page book. Not exactly an easy read for me. The author would throw in a Russian word once and then expect you to remember it and keep using it. So I started a notepad of these words. Then I decided that that it was kind of silly as it wasn't in cyrillic, so I started to work on that.

Anyway, back to Yeltsin. You can find out a lot about his life now online and in the news now because of his death so I won't go into it. He had his ups and downs. All I have to add, is that I came to the realization from this bio that he earned or worked hard for everything he got. And he worked his way up through the ranks. That is the way those guys got into power. They didn't just come into power out of nowhere or because they spent the most on advertising or they came from a rich family. First he was a prorab, supervior, then a nachalnik, boss, and then a pervyi, regional manager. And the strange thing is that he was a Moscow outsider. But a lot of the soviet industrial power was east of the Urals, so that gave him a certian political clout, and he got into the politburo.

The other thing about Yeltsin that I came away with, was that I think he must have been a good guy to hang out with. A gung ho sort of fellow that could rally people behind him. Liked to play volleyball and would organize games. I can relate to that.

I think he would have been a good guy to know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeltsin was a bit of a sot, you know. I'm O.K. with that since I am too.

My favorite image of Boris was one time at a conference, he was sitting at this big table with all these other dignitaries and his secretary (or some woman) came from behind him and leaned over the person sitting next to him to show him some papers. Boris noticed the woman and gave her a little pinch on the behind. You could not see this, as his hand was behind her, but the look on her face was priceless. Boris got quite a kick out of it himself, judging be the look on his face.

don said...

I watched a vintage Diane Sawyer interview with Yeltsin. He told her that he wasn't going to heaven because he had sinned. But it was something more serious than that.

But Yeltsin not taking himself too seriously was pointed out by one of the commenters on Veronica's blog or one that she translated out of Russian.

In a way that was something cool about Reagan too.