Monday, April 09, 2007

Local cyclist dies/ Brandenburg gets 3rd in GS

A local cyclist was killed last Thursday night when he ran into a Dodge Ram pickup on a ride I often do above a local lake where I work. The same road that I took my friend Yulia down to a windsurfing lesson, if you are reading Yulia. It was a beautiful evening and I did notice lots of cyclists out after work. I thought about going out but had to get ready to ski the next day, plus it was a little windy.

I don't know too many details about the accident except that the cyclist was coming down hill and the truck couldn't avoid him. He was wearing a helmet. Usually I would question the the car/ truck as I've been struck by a car as has most of the serious cyclists that I know. When I got hit I was in the right and this person turned into me. Didn't see me.

I don't know who is at fault in this case. If this guy does this ride like I do, then I suspect that the cyclist is at fault. I haul ass down that hill and around those corners. I try to stay in my lane but it is a narrow twisting road. A big truck coming up at any rate of speed would probably be impossible to avoid. I'll have to re-think that ride.

On a brighter note, a young guy from Spokane, Will Brandenburg, and from where I ski has made the US Ski Team development team and just got third in the US championships Giant Slalom in Alaska.

Ligety, who has been the men's combined gold medalist for three straight years (and slalom champion in 2005 and a year ago), led the first run and had the second-fastest final run to win in 2:22.34. He caught a break of sorts in the second run when defending GS champion Bode Miller (Bretton Woods, NH), second in the first run, became sick and didn't race to defend his title, while Erik Fisher (Middleton, ID) - third in the first run - was a DNF in his second run.

Junior Will Brandenburg (Spokane, WA), named earlier in the week as the Ski Racing Alpine Junior of the Year, was silver medalist in 2:24.66. Cody Marshall (Pittsfield, VT) had the fastest second run to move up five places as he completed the podium (2:24.78).

So that is really cool. The first kid from SARS (Schweitzer Alpine Racing School) to get onto the US Ski Team. I haven't seen him ski but I did talk to one of his coaches a couple of weeks ago about it. I have seen Bodie Miller ski. Something to behold. Bodie didn't actually become sick on the second run. From what I understand the snow became mushy and he decided to not risk an injury. I can totally relate to that. Anyway if Brandenburg is getting times up with those guys then he has to be awesome. Pretty exciting for Spokane and SARS. It sounds like they are going to put him on the "B" Team. That is huge! I set my VCR to record the race and I actually got it right so I will get to see his runs.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Sorry to hear about the cyclist. It's a natural tendency to haul ass down hills, and Dodge Ram pickups are generally larger and harder to stop.

:(

Let us know how the US Championships go!

don said...

I believe the Championships are over. The US Ski Team link and the Ski Racing Link on my side bar has some good articles and photos. There is a video clip of Brandenburg on the Ski Racing site.