Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Cat food recall

Thankfully I did not feed my cat Spunky any of the food on the recall list. I did recently buy a package of Iams dry food, but I went to the Iams website and none if it's dry food was on the recall list. And the Prescription Diet Hills food that I get from the vet, and pay and arm and a leg for is not on the list as I'm also only feeding Spunky dry food. I did notice that the hills wet sliced food was on the list. I do give her a treat now and then but it is Friskies wet cat food and it wasn't on the list. So who knows, perhaps the cheapest food is the best. The cat might get a bladder infection eating it but at least it won't die.

They put something in that food that the cats like. But what I don't get is why they have Beef, Chicken Turkey and Liver flavors? Why don't they have flavors that cats really like,.. Mouse or just Bird ? Swallow or something.

5 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

I'm glad that Spunky isn't going to die. It's always sad to deal with a pet's death.

I've read everywhere that it's better to feed pets dry food. I looked at some of the foods on the recall list, and the second or third ingredient on a lot of them was high fructose corn syrup. The exact same stuff that's in soda to make it sweet. There were also a lot of chemicals in them too.

We know this stuff is bad for us and yet we feed it to our pets anyway?

I think the "flavors" they use to feed pets are the same "flavors" they use to feed humans, but aren't quite "human grade". I think cats and dogs just like meat, although I've read that dogs are omnivorous and can eat stuff like apples, potatoes, celery, etc.

Spunky doesn't look very happy in that photo; or at least photogenic.

don said...

Yes, I've heard that cats are totally meat eaters. They are pure hunters. That's probably why I like them so much.

I know that the grade of food they make for them is very bad. But it probably isn't much worse than some of the things we eat if we go to fast food or eat much of the stuff boxed or canned.

Spunky is happy. She just doesn't show it in a photo. She is pretty old now, 16 and will die at some point. I will be sad. Several years ago she developed a thyroid problem and I had to take her to WSU vet school for a radioactive treatment or she would have died before now even with meds. It was very expensive. I'm ashamed to say how much. It was either that or I would have had to give her pills twice a day to regulate her thyroid and that was expensive. $30. a month for meds. That was several years ago now and she has lived a full life. She's old but still a cool cat and doing fine.

I have to admit that I did enjoy giving her those pills before she got her treatment. I'd hold her on her back and then open her mouth and push half a pill down her throat. Then I'd close her mouth and blow on her nose to make her swallow. She got used to it but knew it was coming and that made it hard to catch her.

Megan said...

I had to throw out some soft food. Brown Dog wasn't too happy about that, but I would rather have him healthy and a little grouchy, than sickly. He only gets a little of the 'gravy' on his dry food to make it a little more interesting.

Anonymous said...

Don,

It's a good thing I know that cat, how special she is and how much you love her... otherwise I would have to say; "That is the absolute worst photo of a cat, ever there was!"

Curt

don said...

Wow Megan, that is scary. Glad Brown Dog is ok.

What say you Curtis! After all, who looks that good in their ID photo? I look insane in mine. Come to think of it, I look insane in all of my photos :)