Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Waxing

It's going to be sunny on Wednesday so I'm going skiing. Another mid-week ski day. Last weekend got washed out. It was raining on Saturday and on Sunday they only had a few lifts running so it wasn't worth the drive up. Sadly, Monday was beautiful, but everyone had to go back to work.

I have three pairs of skis waxed up for tomorrow. All giant slalom skis. One pair of Volkls and two pairs of Atomics. I won't use my race stock skis. I have been neglecting one pair of Atomics so I decided to tune them. I filed them flat while watching TV and then I took them into my "race room" and set the edge angles with my Swix tool then I polished the edges with a stone. Then I put a new structure on the bases with my rilling tool and then I waxed with my new red wax. Then I brushed it down. So I'll be curious to see how they work. I suspect they will be nice. But who knows. I have two identical pairs of these skis and the new pair has been way better than the old pair. So perhaps now the old pair will be better now as the edges are so sharp.

Here is a photo of me waxing. We are not talking my chest hair or my back, both of those could use some waxing also. That would hurt! :) First you melt the wax on with the iron. Then you iron it out. Then you scrape it off. Then you polish it with the brush. I do this every day I ski the night before.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

So? How'd the skiing go?

Until I started reading your blog I never knew you could do all this at home! I thought taking care of skis was something done at a ski shop!

Silly me! :)

How long does it take for you to completely tune a pair? (Is that the right terminology?)

I'm trying the body hair waxing next week; yes, I'm sure it will hurt, and I'm sure I'll blog about the adventure.

don said...

Skiing was great. The weather was beautiful.

It takes me about 30 min to wax one pair of skis. I usually let the wax cool down completely before I scrape it off however.

I did a lot more work to the Atomics though and it took all night on and off. They worked great though. I made one run on the Volkls and then changed back to the Atomics as they were hooking up so well. I was very pleased with my tune on them.