Wednesday, March 07, 2007

New Casio

I went to Sports Outlet tonight and bought a new watch. I was prepared to spend about $60. The thing I like about Sports Outlet is they do have decent stuff but they don't manage their inventory very well and they seem to care. They are kids for the most part who don't seem to care about their jobs. Not enought to come and assist me anyway.

Everything was in a state of chaos in the watch department. There was a sign that said 20% off all Casios. So first I looked at them. Then I worked my way around the display which was pretty large. Many had been marked down. Some two and three times, probably because they'd been there too long and the battery is probably getting old. I found one casio that had been marked down several times. I liked the model. It was just analog but with a digital date and also a light. I wanted an analog watch. I'm not sure if it was marked correctly. It had the following prices on it. $59.99, $34.99, $29.99, $17.49, and finally $9.47 I found the exact same watch with only the $34.99 price on it. I didn't like any of the watches I looked at any better at any of the prices, so I took the $9.47 watch to the counter and got it for $4.73 with the 20% off deal.

But there is another side to this story. It makes me wonder about the production of this watch. Here we have these things piling up in the stores and nobody really cares about or values them. I now have a Casio, big deal. It's such a consumer driven world that we live in. This watch was "cased" in China. It's actually a pretty nice looking thing. It's well made and useful. I'm glad I didn't have to pay $59.99 for it. But I would actually. Especially if there wasn't such a glut on them. And if there wasn't a glut then perhaps the people who made this in China, or whatever country might make a little more money and the value of their money might be higher. I can't help but think that things might change if things continue like they are. There might be a day when we won't have over stocked stores like this, or we won't have the money to buy the way we do now.

On another note, my shoulder has been bothering me the last few days. Not really hurting but just bothering me. I was thinking what the heck? Then I remembered my crash on Saturday. That must have been it. It was a pretty violent crash. I'm fine now. And my hip/ butt issue went away by the next day. I'm kind of amazed about that as it hurt so much that day. But now I'm whole again and feel great.

4 comments:

Megan said...

what no picture of your sporty new watch?!

Diane Lowe said...

Wow! What a deal!

I don't know if I'd really want the value of the Chinese yuan to climb any higher; more specifically, I don't want the value of the U.S. dollar to drop any more than it has!

But I think your point is valid; there must be some watch engineer, or assembler, someone, who cared about that watch. And obviously the Sports Outlet employees didn't.

I think I blogged about the Big 5 Sporting Goods people giving me way too much help this summer. Maybe Big 5 can help the Sports Outlet people out, and the Sports Outlet people can tone down the Big 5 people. . . .

don said...

You are probably right diane. We can enjoy the gravy train for now, but I think it might be on its way out of the station.

Right now I want China to do well. The stock market seems suffer otherwise.

I remember that post about Big 5. I don't have that problem :)

Perhaps the problem is with the management of the chain. The employees are unhappy with their service industry jobs and don't value them. The inventory is out of control. Then I come along and capitalize on the situation. It was a good deal for me, but I can't help but think that it's a problem for the store, and perhaps an indicator of a larger problem.

don said...

I'm sorry, The name of the store is Sports Authority, not Sports Outlet.

Plus I liked one of my sentences: "I can't help but think that things might change if things continue like they are." My gosh.