Sunday, March 18, 2007

Retro camping

My friend from hunt club and I took our campers up to the resort for a weekend of skiing. It's kind of cool camping in the parking lot up there as it is so high up in the mountains. We got there late on Friday night. The photo above is how the parking lot looked after people showed up on Saturday. It was nice and sunny that day. But then Saturday night the weather moved in and it rained heavy at night with high winds. The wind blew out the pilot lite on my furnace so I just turned it off. The wind was so strong that it shook the camper all night. Good thing I had a comfy sleeping bag. The wind kind of rocked me to sleep.Sunday morning this is what it looked like after the storm as the sun came up, and before everyone showed back up. I got up and made some coffee and then went for a walk about. It was a beautiful morning. My camper is the yellow one on the right. We were sitting there at noon Saturday cooking some brats on the BBQ and this guy went by and complimented me on my "retro" camper. What the heck?! I'm not kidding, that's what the guy said! I honestly did not expect anyone to make a point of how old my camper was. :) I should have invited him in to look at the stove!

4 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

That stove is pretty awesome. I like how your dishes match!

don said...

I made one heck of a mess in there cooking and such, but I got it all cleaned up before I came home.

The Wordpecker said...

Cool digs! Is it warm in your camper? I mean, my house is drafty in high winds, I can't imagine sleeping in a camper being shaken by the wind (retro or otherwise ;) )

don said...

Wordpecker, It was warm in my camper until the furnace went out. The wind was coming down the mountain and into the draft of my furnace. It would not stay lit. I should have parked with the back of my camper down hill. Something I always do when I'm hunting. There was so much wind blowing around, I don't think it would have mattered. But I have a serious sleeping bag and I was almost too hot in it even with the furnace out. But yes it was very windy. I'd say gusts to at least 40 or so.