Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Wolf people

This place is called Wolf People. It's on the way to were I ski in North Idaho. I've always wanted to stop and go in there but I've never been quite sure about it. There is a wolf guy coming out the front door in this photo.

He had a leash and went around back and brought out this wolf. Wolves are pretty big. I was on the other side of the highway and thought about going over there but I didn't want to freak out the wolf. I don't think it would have but you never know. He put the wolf in a chain link cage that was in the back of a pickup and took it home. I've seen one of the wolves in that cage before and was impressed by how big it was. This wolf is a beauty. I don't think it's a hybrid. I suspect that this is a full on wolf. It's pretty impressive, but I think Spunky could take him.... When she was younger. :)

Not long ago, when there was still snow on the ground, I was in the woods a couple of miles from here and took this photo of these tracks. (It's where I make a pit stop half way to the ski hill in the mornings) These tracks were too big to be a regular dog. And they followed along a fresh set of deer tracks. I know how old the tracks were because I was there the day before and they weren't there then. I notice these things when I'm out and about. All of the hunting I do. I wonder if the wolf people are promoting a pack of wolves in this area.

There's a controversy about the grey wolf population in Idaho right now. The govenor of Idaho, Butch Otter wants to open up hunting on wolves. I would never shoot one unless I had to, and I just can't see having to. I know a rancher in south central Montana. I'll have to see what his thoughts are on this.


3 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

I used to have a beautiful white wolf mix. She had the sweetest temperament (she was shy around strangers, esp. men) and was very protective of me. She would never hurt anyone. If I couldn't sleep at night, I would go sit on the porch and she would try to curl up in my lap. She always wanted to play.

One day she broke her chain and someone shot her. There wasn't even any livestock in the field, and she was dragging about 20 feet of chain. I was heartbroken.

I'm not sure if I would say wolves are very big, but they do have big feet. Much bigger than a dog's.

Ranchers don't like wolves (or dogs, except their own dogs). Wolves go after livestock because they're easy targets and (I theorize) keepers of livestock don't do the best job keeping them.

don said...

I've never understood people shooting coyotes either.

Many years ago I was on a ranch in Montana. Several guys would show up to hunt elk. One guy was a Montana Highway Patrol. He showed up and had a coyote in the back of his truck. He would shoot them and sell the skins. I've known other people who shoot coyotes. I think at the time he would get about $80 for the hide. I looked up to this guy as he was an authority figure, but I didn't quite know what to make of him shooting coyotes all the time. Not something I'd do.

That is very sad about your dog.

Megan said...

There is a wolf/wolfdog refuge in our county. They are always getting flack from their neighbors about the noise. I went there one time to see it. It was really a beautiful place. The animals looked happy, so in turn I was happy. I made a donation to them so that they could maybe buy a bigger location. I think they will be able to do this soon.