Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Cycling season starts

I wrote a post about road bike riders (bicycle racers) shaving their legs last night and I'll re-visit that subject when I start riding more. I decided to delete that post. Cycling season has started and the spring classics are getting underway in Europe. I haven't made any goals yet except body weight ones. The first would be to get my weight down to 185. And if I can do that then I might set it lower.

I've been riding on the rollers just enough to get my backside used to the saddle again. The problem is that I've got two different bikes and they have different saddles. I pumped up the tires in my regular road bike so I could roll on my regular saddle and I flatted the front tire trying to get it up to pressure. So I'll have to repair that. It's been cool enough to make it very uncomfortable on the bike with any wind right now. I did see a group of riders last night on my way home. One guy and several girls all probably in their 20s. All on very nice bikes, one I noticed in the $2k to $3k range or more. There was a time when I wouldn't ever see anything like that. Thank you Lance.

2 comments:

Megan said...

What is a $2k or $3k bike? Does Moots fall into that category? Are Merckx's bikes still high end? If you could have ANY road bike frame, what would you get?

On a side note I am taking my cross bike to the bike shop for a spring tune-up/cleaning.

don said...

The girl I saw was on a cervelo time trial bike. I guessed at the value based on the wheels that were on it. I'm pretty sure it was between two and three thousand dollars. www.cervelo.com There's a dealer here and I've been seeing more and more of them.

Yes Merckx bikes are still some of the best you can get and I wouldn't be ashamed to ride one of those. I'm sure Moots makes some nice bikes also. I haven't ridden either.

I have a Trek 5000 carbon road bike. I bought it many years ago and it's still all I need as I mostly do tours and it's comfortable on rough roads. That's really important to me on distance rides. I put nicer wheels and other critical parts on it as time went on.

All of the bike companies make nice road bikes at about the $1000 mark and up. The more you spend the smoother things work, better shifting and smoother wheels hubs, and the less prone to failure.

If I could have anything I wanted, I'd probably get a Pinarello Paris carbon. www.pinarello.com Cool website by the way.

If I were going to race on a budget I'd get a Cannondale. I love the way they feel. But I have the bike that fits my needs for now.

Enjoy your Colorado cycling!