Monday, March 05, 2007

Pulsar

I guess I'll have to buy a new watch. I must have bumped my watch on that gate when I fell. Now the last digit on the display doesn't work. Instead of reading 5:26 it reads 5:2. You would think they could make a better watch than this. I expect more anyway. I did pay $7.50 for this at Walmart last summer. And you might think that isn't much, but that's about a dollar a month to own this watch. I'm thinking my theory that cheap watches are just as good as expensive ones isn't true.

I love watches. Jane bought me a Pulsar. She really couldn't afford it at the time. I know she must have gone in debt over it and I didn't want her to do that. We were at a mall and she was looking at jewelry and so I was checking out the Pulsars. I saw one I thought was really cool. She asked me what I was looking at and I pointed at this watch in the case and said I really like that one. So what did I get for Christmas? A Pulsar. But it wasn't the one I was pointing at. It was the one next to it. I like it anyway as it is a cool watch. It was just an example of how out of touch we were to eachother despite how hard we tried. She's gone and I still have the Pulsar to remind me.

It's a dress watch. I'm kind of a sporty guy, (or at least I'd like to think so). But I can't take this Pulsar skiing. I'll have to go shopping for another watch.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

I bought a Timex digital from Wal-Mart for about $20 once. It was green (my favorite color!) and I bought it because I needed a "durable" watch for OCS. I think I lost it in my Jeep and will have to hopefully find it someday. The alarm used to go off during my morning commute but I couldn't look for it because I was driving!

Definitely don't take your Pulsar skiing! But if the emotional connection isn't so strong, maybe you could wear it to work everyday.

One fellow I dated gave me a nice Fossil watch once; it would display the seconds in Chinese numerals digitally, but the face was a regular clockface. Fossil doesn't make that model anymore. The relationship ended badly and I haven't gotten over it enough to wear the watch but I can't eBay it either. Someday I won't care about the emotional connection and I'll wear the watch.

I like the idea of wearing "nice" things as our "everyday" things. I have a couple nice bracelets I wear (one of which probably wasn't cheap) when I'm not at work (bracelets and typing at keyboards doesn't work very well).

I'd like to get an Omega self-winding watch (or any self-winding watch, really) someday; there's something really cool about never having to change a battery.

don said...

Yes, I do like to wear the Pulsar to work. Even my sister noticed it a while back. It needs a battery right now however. But I have to do something soon. I need a watch I can wear on my bike. I have two heart rate monitors that are also watches. Both konked out. I'll probably get another one of those.