Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Been there done that


Today it was so nice to cycle to work in the cool air. I was so thankful for the cool down. I rode at lunch and then home and the clock turned over to 711 miles today. I'm going to try and do a charity ride this weekend. I'll post a link to it if I can find it. With luck I can just show up and pay and ride. Pretty sure I can on this one. Some of them you have to register in advance. Anyway I really need to be getting envolved. For a few years I was trying to get in 3 or 4 long tours in a summer and now I'm a total wuss. I also want to go to Glacier Park and ride up the hill there. (Going to the Sun Highway) I did that a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it. Bikes are allowed until 10:00 am. And then again in the evening. It is a very difficult climb and it is cold as it is in the shade all morning, as the road goes up the West side of the Garden Wall.

I looked for prints but didn't find any. I know I have some slides but couldn't bring myself to look at my slides. But here is an old school pastel study I did after Degas "After the Bath" Like a lot of things I worked on I didn't finish it. My intention wasn't to get a finished work out of it, it was just to learn something.

It is interesting, The print I worked from called it "After the Bath" I found a bunch of Degas pictures on the internet with that title but the one I found of this image was called "Nude wiping her foot" and said it was oil on canvas. I wonder about that. The print looks like oil pastel. I used chalk pastels to do my study. I have oil pastels but I don't like working with them. Chalk pastels are more forgiving than oil ones. Here is a good website that has a ton of Degas images. One of my favorite artists, probably because I really like to work with pastels.

BTW this sort of thing is kind of frowned on now in art schools and it isn't taught. At least that was my experience. They have a "been there done that" mentality when it comes to this sort of thing. Except that most of these people haven't been there, and haven't done that. They couldn't teach you if they wanted to. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good things being done. But don't expect to master oil or pastel in art school. They just don't teach these things, and I think it is kind of sad, and it will be lost eventually. If you want to learn the classics then go to music school.

Going to the Sun
DEGAS

2 comments:

GrewUpRural said...

I came across your blog couple weeks ago while blog surfing. I enjoy reading your blog as you discuss a variety of interesting topics. The pictures that you take of the scenery out there are absolutely beautiful.

I have never been further west than Washington, D.C., but by looking at your pictures, I really would like to visit the Mountain West and the Pacific area. Hope your morning was relaxing.

don said...

Thanks for stopping in. I was in DC once when I was 6 years old but I still remember it. We traveled across the country in a train. I was too young to enjoy the museums. I had an offer to go to DC last year but it was during ski season and I couldn't/ wouldn't leave.