Monday, August 07, 2006

Lastly landis 8.7.06

I stayed home a little later than usual this morning to watch an interview Landis gave with his lovely wife at his side. One of the things he said made a lot of sense: (as reported in VeloNews)

"I put in more than 20,000 kilometers of training for the Tour. I won the Tour of California, Paris-Nice and the Tour de Georgia. I was tested eight times at the Tour (de France), four times before that stage and three times after, including three blood tests," Landis said. "Only one came back positive. Nobody in their right mind would take testosterone just once. It doesn't work that way."

I suspect he is right about that,.. but is he speaking from experience? And Landis was on all three network morning shows today. I only watched CBS. He totally had me convinced in that interview until the last question. It was something like what he wanted everyone to know. And instead of saying "I didn't do it! I'm innocent!" he hesitated and said something like he wanted a chance to present his case. Or something like that.

That comment reminded me of so many things Lance Armstrong has said over the years. He has often hesitated as if the question doesn't have a clear answer. And I remember the early question asked of Landis if he had used T and he said that his answer at this point was no or something like that. I can't remember the exact words but he hesitated.


The other thing that is bothersome; Landis said that after stage 16 he was dehydrated so they gave him an I,V. I have to ask myself. Can't you just drink water? So I'm thinking all of this over,.. and I think many of these guys are pushing the limits hoping not to go over the limits if tested. I don't think it is as simple as "I've never taken anything." I think it is more like "I've always been tested and have been ok." That is kind of like speeding now and then and never getting a speeding ticket.

No comments: